August 10, 2011

Giggles and Church don't mix -writing prompt



When my sister and I were young we would have to attend Catholic Church with my mother. We got the typical warning “you better behave….or else!!” the OR ELSE was code for …..If you act up you will see the fate of your dads’ belt on your backside!  

As a child sitting through a catholic service it could be at times be ruthless. Hard pews, the smell of jean na’te pouring out of the pores of the old lady sitting in front of us, babies crying, stand up-sit down-kneel-stand up…..time for prayer.  At this time we would have to recite the “Our Father”, I would grab my sisters’ hand and then ………..the game began.  She would squeeze my hand, I would squeeze back harder and we would go back and forth until someone cracked or …….we ended up squeezing someone else’s hand on accident. Sometimes one of us would squeeze so hard that a little “yelp” would peep out of our mouth and we would get that look…………….you know that look, it’s the same “I’m going to give you something to cry about if you don’t knock it off” look we give our own children. Even though our game would stop we continued to stare each other down and normally I would be the one that couldn’t keep from giggling and then the giggling would turn into that laughter that I would try to hold in until I couldn’t hold it in any longer and then the tears would come and my stomach would hurt all the while knowing my fate was to see the fate of the belt or hear those 2 all time common words. “YOU’RE GROUNDED”