April 28, 2011

Shel Silverstein...remember him??


The school year is ending soon and the kids have projects that are due in their different classes and I’m the one who is constantly on them to work on it a little at a time so it’s not “last minute” and we are rushing to get pages printed, things glued or have to find a poster board at 10 pm. My son has to turn in his ME book tomorrow and last night we were completing his “poetry” section and one question was to just find a random poem …….my son stared at me blankly “a poem?” …..so my mind races and I remember a poet and not just your typical Edgar Allan Poe poet, more of a kid poet…….Do you all remember Shel Silverstein??  So I Google his poems and start to read my son some of the poems that I use to read as a child and read to him while he was a little guy of course he doesn’t remember but when I start to read the poem about the Boa Constrictor we sat back and just laughed, memories of me being a little girl having to do a project of a poet and having to recite this poem just brought back chuckles of my fear of stage fright.


Oh, I'm being eaten
By a boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it--one bit.
Well, what do you know?
It's nibblin' my toe.
Oh, gee,
It's up to my knee.
Oh my,
It's up to my thigh.
Oh, fiddle,
It's up to my middle.
Oh, heck,
It's up to my neck.
Oh, dread,
It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff...